The City That Never Sleeps
Best viewed in Google Chrome, screen resolution 1280 x 1024.




posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009
title : annoying little buggers.
I met someone today. He wasn't aesthetically appealing, or physically fit, but he was special. Half his body couldn't move, a burden, more than anything else. I christened him "Wormie". Yes, a worm. Barely perceptible, with the dark grey tiles and his own black body. He brightened my day for those few seconds, watching him maneuver past leaves and over twigs. Seeming to stop and contemplate each time he met an obstacle. And he went, and went, over the edge.

Gone, I thought, forever. Down a drain, perhaps. Where was he heading for, in the first place?

My mind wandered.

A wiggling thing on the road caught my attention. I blinked. Hey, wasn't that Wormie? O: "Where had he planned to go?"

Cars, buses, motorcycles sped past, each time narrowly missing his small insignificant self. Should I save him? Rescue him from the perils of the Road and put him on soil, grass... where he belongs?

But there probably are tons of Wormies doing this every day, everywhere, right? Saving this one puny worm isn't gonna change anything.

Why was it so stupid to go onto the road?

Why?

I'd look so stupid going on the road to 'save' this... thing.

But if I was the only one at the busstop, would I do it?

...probably.

But it might get eaten by a bird. But it might die from lack of food. But it might crawl out and get squished again anyway.

B-b-but.

I watched his companion who was also wiggling on the road get squished.

The bus came. I left.

He probably got squished anyway.

Bye Wormie.